- 00:25Prep Time
- 00:35Cook Time
- 2 Tbsp. Johnny’s Seasoning Salt, divided
- 2 tsp. and 1 Tbsp. Johnny’s Seasoned Pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 3/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 3–4-lb. chicken, cut into 10 pieces, backbone and wing tips removed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- Peanut oil (for frying)
- Whisk 1 Tbsp. Johnny’s Seasoning Salt, 2 tsp. Johnny’s Seasoned Pepper, paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, and onion powder in a small bowl.
- Season chicken with spices. Place chicken in a medium bowl, cover, and chill overnight.
- Let chicken stand covered at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Whisk buttermilk, egg, and 1/2 cup water in a medium bowl. Whisk flour, cornstarch, remaining 1 Tbsp. Johnny’s Seasoning Salt, and remaining 1 Tbsp. Johnny’s Seasoned Pepper in a 9x13x2″ baking dish.
- Pour oil into a 10″–12″ cast-iron skillet or another heavy straight-sided skillet (not nonstick) to a depth of 3/4″.
- Prop deep-fry thermometer in oil so bulb is submerged. Heat over medium-high heat until thermometer registers 350°.
- Meanwhile, set a wire rack inside a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Working with 1 piece at a time (use 1 hand for wet ingredients and the other for dry ingredients), dip chicken in buttermilk mixture, allowing excess to drip back into bowl. Dredge in flour mixture; tap against bowl to shake off excess.
- Place 5 pieces of chicken in skillet. Fry chicken, turning with tongs every 1–2 minutes and adjusting heat to maintain a steady temperature of 300°–325°, until skin is deep golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of chicken registers 165°, about 10 minutes for wings and 12 minutes for thighs, legs, and breasts.
- Using tongs, remove chicken from skillet, allowing excess oil to drip back into skillet; transfer chicken to prepared rack.
- Repeat with remaining chicken pieces; let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm.
Like This Recipe, and Want to See More?
Sign up for Johnny’s® Flavor Club and get recipes, tips, and deals right in your email inbox.