Lemon Pepper Chicken and Potatoes
- 00:30Prep Time
- 01:20Cook Time
- 1 whole chicken
- fresh basil leaves
- 5 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 lemons
- 5 clove garlic
- 2 scallions
- Johnny’s Seasoned Sea Salt
- Johnny’s Jamaica Me Crazy Lemon Pepper
- 1 3/4 lb. small to medium potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Remove any excess fat around chicken cavities and discard; rinse chicken and pat dry, inside and out.
- In a small bowl, combine basil, butter, lemon zest, garlic, and scallions.
- Starting at chicken’s neck, slide hands under skin, carefully loosening skin on breasts and thighs. Spread butter mixture, about 1 Tbsp. at a time, between loosened skin and meat, taking care not to tear skin. Rub hands over skin to spread mixture into crevices.
- Season chicken (inside and out) with Johnny’s Seasoned Sea Salt and Lemon Pepper Seasoning, then tie legs together with kitchen string. In a large bowl, toss potatoes with oil, 1/2 teaspoon Johnny’s Sea Salt, and enough pepper to coat well. Cut reserved lemon into quarters and set 3 aside.
- Heat roasting pan in oven for 10 minutes. Remove.
- Then put potatoes and any oil left in bowl into pan, keeping potatoes in a single layer and pushed to edges to make room for chicken. Place chicken in pan, breast-side up.
- Roast chicken for 20 minutes, then remove pan from oven and turn bird breast-side down.
- Continue to roast for 20 more minutes, then remove pan from oven and turn bird breast-side up again.
- Sprinkle parsley over potatoes, then stir to coat with pan drippings. Squeeze lemon over chicken and put rinds into pan.
- Continue to roast until juices of chicken run clear when thigh is pierced with a fork, or an instant-read thermometer inserted in breast reaches 160°F, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven; let chicken rest for 15 minutes before transferring to a cutting board.
- Let rest for 5 more minutes, then carve. Spoon pan juices over chicken; serve with potatoes and roasted lemon.