Johnny’s Scallion Pancakes
- 00:25Prep Time
- 00:40Cook Time
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. Johnny’s Seasoning Salt
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 4 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 5 Scallions finely chopped
- Johnny’s Seasoned Sea Salt
- Vegetable oil
- Add the flour, Johnny’s Seasoning Salt and boiling water to the bowl of a mixer with a beater attachment.
- Mix on low speed until the dough comes together.
- Switch attachments to the dough hook and knead at medium-low speed until the dough is smooth and not super sticky.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel and let the dough rest for at least 30 minutes.
- On a well-floured surface, cut the dough into 4 equal-sized pieces. Shape each piece into a round puck.
- Using plenty of flour to keep the dough from sticking, roll one of the pucks out into an 11-inch disk.
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon of sesame oil onto the dough and use a pastry brush to spread it around evenly
- Evenly distribute 1/4 of the chopped scallions on top of the dough and then sprinkle with a pinch of Johnny’s Seasoned Sea Salt.
- Roll the dough as if you’re making cinnamon rolls. Then wrap the rolled dough around itself so it looks like a snail shell, pinching the end to get it to stick.
- Flatten out the puck of dough with your hand and roll out to a 6-inch disk. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Add 2 Tbsp. of vegetable oil to a heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium heat until the oil is hot. Add a pancake and fry until browned on one side about 5-6 minutes, and then flip and fry the other side another 4-5 minutes.
- Be careful not to have the heat too high, otherwise, the scallion pancake will burn before it cooks through. Fry the rest of the pancakes, adding another Tbsp. of oil to the pan before adding each pancake.
- As the scallion pancakes are cooked, transfer them to a paper towel-lined wire rack to drain.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Like This Recipe, and Want to See More?
Sign up for Johnny’s® Flavor Club and get recipes, tips, and deals right in your email inbox.