Red Wine Beef Stew
- 00:20Prep Time
- 06:00Cook Time
- 2 c. beef stock
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 lb. carrots, cut into rounds
- 1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, halved if large
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 2 large celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 3 lb. pot roast, trimmed and cut into 4 pieces
- Johnny’s Seasoned Pepper
- 1/4 c. tomato paste
- 1 c. dry red wine
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, for serving
- Whisk together stock, flour, and mustard in a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add carrots, mushrooms, onion, celery, garlic, and thyme. Stir to combine.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season beef with Johnny’s Seasoned Pepper.
- Cook turning occasionally until browned on all sides about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove to slow cooker. Add tomato paste to skillet and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add wine and cook, scraping up browned bits about 30 seconds. Add to slow cooker.
- Discard thyme. Remove beef and shred with 2 forks, then return to cooker. Stir in butter.
- Cover and cook until beef is tender, on low heat 7 to 8 hours or high for 5 to 6 hours.
- Serve topped with parsley.