- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 a medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. harissa (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp.crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. Johnny’s Seasoning Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Johnny’s Seasoned Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 14-oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. Israeli couscous
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 3-4 large eggs
- feta cheese, for serving
- fresh parsley, for serving
- In a small 8 inch skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion, a pinch of salt, and cook while stirring, until soft and translucent. About 5 minutes.
- Next, add the garlic, cumin, harissa, smoked paprika, crushed red pepper flakes, Johnny’s Seasoning Salt, Johnny’s Seasoned Pepper, and stir. Cook for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato paste and canned tomatoes (with juice). Stir everything to combine it well, and either simmer it for 15 minutes on medium, or turn the heat to low and let cook for up to 2 hours.
- When ready to serve, crank the heat to high, stir in the couscous and broth, cover and cook for about 15 minutes, until the couscous is done.
- Create 3-4 little wells to add the eggs.
- Cook for about 8 minutes, until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny. (If wanting a more well-done egg, baste the eggs with the tomato sauce around it.)
- Scatter feta and parsley on top, and serve.