Chicken Pumpkin Pasta Bake
For the Pumpkin Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion
- a splash of white wine (optional)
- 1 clove garlic
- 18 ounces pumpkin puree (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Johnny’s Seasoning Salt
- 1½ teaspoons rubbed sage
- a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg (or just ground)
- dash of Johnny’s Seasoned Pepper
For the Pasta:
- 1 lb. uncooked pasta
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup Mozzarella or other white melty cheese
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- parsley for topping
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Cut the onion into thin slices and add to the melted butter in the pan.
- Keeping the heat on medium-low, cook the onions until they are caramelized and deep golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.
- You can add a splash of white wine as they’re cooking to get a little extra sweetness.
- Puree the garlic, pumpkin, chicken broth, milk, olive oil, Johnny’s Seasoning Salt, sage, nutmeg, and Johnny’s Seasoned Pepper in a blender until smooth.
- Add to the caramelized onions in the pan and cook until heated through.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, stopping a little early so they are still firm enough to hold their shape in the oven. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to boil and add the chicken, cooking for 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove from the water; when cool enough to handle, shred the chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Toss the cooked pasta, chicken, and bacon with the pumpkin sauce and ½ cup Mozzarella cheese.
- Transfer to a greased 9×13 baking dish, top with remaining cheese and cover with greased foil to prevent sticking.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and let stand a few minutes before serving.