Backyard BBQ Chicken
Recipe amended from original, found at www.deepsouthdish.com.
- 3-4 lbs chicken
- 2 tablespoons of Johnny’s Seasoning Salt
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
Dry Rub Marinade:
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 20 turns of the pepper grinder (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- Johnny’s Seasoning Salt
- 2 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
For the Brine: Fill a large pot or container with enough water to cover the chicken well. Whisk the salt into the water until dissolved; whisk in the vinegar. Add the chicken and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Remove the chicken from the brine and allow to drain well. Discard the brine. Pat the chicken pieces dry, laying out on a platter or baking sheet that will fit in the fridge. Combine the dry rub ingredients and rub the chicken well with the dry rub, cover loosely and refrigerate several hours. Grill chicken covered, turning occasionally, about 12 to 16 minutes for thighs; 16 to 20 minute for legs. Apply your favorite barbecue sauce (or Jamaica Me Sweet, Hot & Crazy) in the last few minutes of cooking.